Jodhpur as a city has many names to its credit. It is known as â€śSun Cityâ€ť because of its bright and sunny weather throughout the year. The houses in the old areas of the city are painted in blue, hence the name â€śBlue Cityâ€ť.Â The Mehrangarh Fort being both historically and physically eminent watches over the city with good care. But, there is one more thing that makes Jodhpur an ideal tourist destination. Yes, with food one doesnâ€™t need to guess much. Jodhpur cuisine is popular for its spicy, tasty and affordable treats. We take you on a refreshing food trip in Jodhpur with this post.
Although, one can find cuisines as varied as Continental, Mexican, Italian and Asian, the local cuisine is one to die for. The reason for its popularity can only be credited to heavy aroma, spices and rich taste. Onion is an integral element in all its delicacies.
Street Food â€“
1. Mirchi Bada
The hot and spicy MirchiBada with chilli and potato filling is a favourite among local people and the natives suggest visitors to definitely give it a try. It is served usually with tamarind or green chutney.
2. Pyaaz Kachori
Kachori stuffed with onions, potato and other spices make it a tasty treat.
3. Shahi Samosa
Ingredients like dry fruits, paneer chunks and green vegetables make it a royal lip smacking snack.
4. Dal Bati Churma
It is a traditional food of Rajasthan consisting of dal, roasted wheat ball and jaggery loaded with lots of pure ghee.
5. Dahi Chaat
Although spicy chaats are anyhow popular in Jodhpur, dahi (curd) chaat is the most desired one.
6. Pani Patashi
Small puris with potato filling are served with a variety of flavoured water.
7. Kadhi Kachori
A mixture of Jodhpuri Kachori with kadhi (condimented curd in a liquid form)
8. Makhaniya Lassi
Buttermilk with extra loaded processed butter on top makes it delicious and is a much liked drink locally
1. Gulab Jamun Ki Sabji â€“ Normally GulabJamun is consumed as a dessert but an innovative spicy curry of it is found in mostly all eateries of Jodhpur
2. Panch Kuta â€“ Made of 5 ingredients (Desert beans, dried berries, dried seeds, red chillies and gum berry)this curry is a regional delicacy
1. Makhan bada â€“ A sweet dish made with butter and sugar syrup.
2. Mawa Kachori â€“ A deep fried Cardamom spiced kachori dipped in sugar syrup.
3. Besan ki Chakki â€“ Made of gram flour processed with ghee later cut into rectangular pieces for consumption
Laal Mans â€“ This is a spicy and aromatic Mutton Curry prepared with authentic Rajasthani spices and loads of condiments to give that special flavour. The curry also consists of whole uncut onions and potatoes.
So, next time you happen to visit Jodhpur, donâ€™t miss out any of these.