Surat, formerly known as Suryapur, is the economic capital of Gujarat. Presently, Surat is the richest city in India far ahead of Bangalore and Madras. Surat has also been declared the third cleanest city in India, maintaining its consistency in cleanliness from past few years.
Here are 5 things that make Surat special:
1. Surat is known as the Diamond heart of the world and does a business worth billions of dollars every year. Reportedly, almost 95% of rough diamonds across the world are cut and polished in Surat. Annually, Suratâ€™s diamond trade contributes almost 90% of the total national export of diamonds and stones.
2. Surat is a renowned for producing textiles, also known as the Silk City of India. Surat is very popular for its cotton mills, man-made fibers, and Zari Craft. There are over 41,100 power loom units and 381 dyeing mills (printing as well) having yearly turnover around 5 billion rupees, and providing employment to lacs of labors.
3. Surat is also known as the City of Flyovers, as it has the maximum number bridges and flyovers in India. Apart from this, Surat also preserves many historical monuments such as Clock Tower, Dutch Cemetery, English Cemetery, Tomb of Khudawand Khan, and Heritage Square. Surat is also the home of many beautiful beaches and parks.
4. Navratri, Diwali, and Ganesh Chaturthi are among the major festivals celebrated in Surat. People in Surat also celebrate thekite-flying festival of Uttarayan (Makar Sankranti, in January) and Chandi Padvo (in October) with great pomp and enthusiasm.
5. The best thing that attracts tourism to Surat is its relaxed lifestyle and its cuisine. A popular dish named Locho (made of gram flour and lentils) is mostly in demand because it is only available in the city of Surat. Ghaari, Undhiyu, Rasaawala Khaman, Surati Khaman, Sosyo, and Sarasiya Khaja are among other preferred dishes available in Surat.
So, when you plan to visit Surat, do keep in mind that you are in one of the oldest cities of India. Surprisingly, Surat is mentioned in the book of Mahabharata where Lord Krishna made a halt while travelling from Mathura to Dwarka.
Do not miss out on Suratâ€™s delicacies and cuisine while travelling in train via Surat Junction. Get KhanaGadi app for food delivery in train at Surat railway station. Order 30-60 minutes prior to your train halt and we will bring you your meal on train seat.